Archive | June, 2011

Minotaur Rocket Launch Completed from NASA Wallops

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

WALLOPS ISLAND,(GGS Bureau) 30 June 2011 ::- VA – An U.S. Air Force Minotaur 1 rocket carrying the Department of Defense Operationally Responsive Space office’s ORS-1 satellite was successfully launched at 11:09 p.m. EDT today from NASA’s Launch Range at the Wallops Flight Facility and the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport in Virginia.

“We are very pleased to continue our support to the U.S. Air Force and the Operationally Responsive Space Office (ORS) with today’s successful launch,” said Bill Wrobel, director of NASA’s Wallops flight Facility. “This is the fourth Minotaur 1 launch from Wallops since December 2006 and we look forward to collaborating with the Air Force and ORS on future projects.”

“Today’s launch continues the Wallops legacy of providing efficient and cost effective support to our launch customers that include government and commercial organizations,” Wrobel said.

Comments (0)

Diesel sales shot up by 11% in May on price hike buzz

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

New Delhi,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::– In another blow to the common man, fuel prices will be hiked again. Following a raise in commission paid to pump dealers, petrol price will go up by Rs 0.27 a litre and diesel by Rs 0.15 a litre.

This comes less than a week after the empowered group of ministers (eGoM), headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, hiked the prices of diesel, kerosene and LPG (domestic gas).

Only last friday diesel was made costlier by Rs 3 per litre, PDS kerosene by Rs 2 per litre. The price of LPG cyclinder was also raised by Rs 50 more (excluding state levies).

Petroleum Minister S Jaipal Reddy had described the previous hike as a “minimal increase”.

Announcing the hike, Reddy had said prices of the three petro-products had been increased to stop the oil marketing companies from bleeding from massive under-recoveries.

Comments (0)

One held for burglary at PM’s media adviser home

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

New Delhi,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::-  Unidentified burglars struck at the house of media adviser to the Prime Minster Harish Khare, in Civil Lines area of North Delhi and made away with his Ford Fiesta car, laptop and cell phone. IB Rani, the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), North District, confirmed the incident.

“Police have started investigations and have registered a case. Two people are involved in the incident,” said the DCP. The victim’s wife Renana Khare informed Civil Lines Police about the incident. Cops said the matter is being investigated.

A police official said that Renana had made a call on PCR after the incident on Wednesday morning at around 9 am. The official reached at her place and noted down her statement. “Harish Khare had kept a laptop inside his Ford Fiesta car bearing number plate DL4CAS2844, blue in colour).

It is his private vehicle. The car was missing from its usual place on Wednesday morning. Khare first searched for it and then informed his family about the incident. His wife decided to call the police to report the matter. Police have registered an FIR of theft on the basis of the complaint given by Khare,” said a senior police official.

Police further said that Khare lives in a government allotted flat on Shyam Nath Marg in Civil Lines area. There is no guard in the locality. There are only ten flats in the compound.
Khare lives in the area with his wife and 25-year-old son. The laptop that has been stolen belongs to the latter.

Comments (0)

Bhupathi-Vesnina in mixed doubles quarter-finals

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

London,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::- Mahesh Bhupathiand Elena Vesnina advanced to mixed doubles quarter-finals of the Wimbledon championships after quelling a late challenge from Eric Butorac and Olga Govortsova in London on Wednesday.The fourth-seed Indo-Russian combination dismissed the challenge of American-Belarusian pair 6-2, 7-6 (7) in the third round contest.

It was a good day for Vesnina as she earlier partnering India’s   Sania Mirza reached the women’s doubles semifinals.

Bhupathi-Vesnina may run into the Sania-Rohan Bopanna Indian pair in the mixed doubles semifinals if both the pairs win their respective quarter-finals.  Bopanna and Sania are one step away from making the quarter-finals as they face Czech team of Martin Damm and Renata Voracova in the third round.

Earlier on Wednesday, they scored a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Jamie Murray of Great Britain and Jarmila Gajdosova of Australia  in the second round.

Comments (0)

Telangana movement set to enter crucial phase

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

Hyderabad, (GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 :: After a four-month lull, the movement for statehood to the Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh is set to enter a crucial phase with the major players, hopeful of achieving their goal, gearing up to pressurise the central government.

The Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which spearheads the statehood movement, plans to block roads and rail lines and call for a general strike in the coming days.

“Eventually if nothing works, we will call for a million people to march to Hyderabad. It is evident that we can achieve our goal only through agitation and the centre will take a final decision only on the strength of our agitation,” JAC convenor M. Kodandaram told IANS.

The JAC, which comprises the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS), the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and other groups, has planned massive protests for the next couple of months.

This will start with pressurising MPs and state legislators of the ruling Congress and the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) to quit.

JAC’s deadline for public representatives of the two major parties to resign ended June 25.

But the death of Telangana ideologue K. Jayashankar last week and the condolence meetings forced the apex body to delay its protest programmes.

“They may not have resigned but eventually they will realize that the time has come for them to take a decision,” said Kodanadaram, who has asked people not to let MPs, ministers and legislators to visit the villages till they resign for the sake of a separate state.

Kodandaram said he would not like to call it a “final battle” for Telangana but a crucial battle. “I am hopeful that we will achieve our goal this time.”

The attacks on two Congress MPs and a state minister last week during the funeral of Jayashankar in Warngal and the attempts almost every day to stop convoys of others in the region for their failure to resign indicate the shape of things in the coming days.

Congress leaders from Telangana are in a dilemma. While a section of MPs and legislators want to resign, others feel it will not help in achieving their goal.

“We will not hesitate to resign if it helps in achieving a separate state,” said Ponnam Prabhakar, MP from Karimnagar.

The Congress leaders in Telangana also plan to mount pressure on their central leadership by undertaking a fast from July 5. The deadline set by them for the leadership to make a clear-cut statement ends June 30.

With the leadership giving no hints of an early decision on their demand for tabling a bill in the coming session of parliament, the public representatives of the Congress are under intense pressure from the JAC to take a hard decision.

Even their recent visit to New Delhi and meetings with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress core committee members and their threats to resign failed to have any impact.

The TDP is also facing the Telangana heat. It has virtually split into two camps with the suspension of senior leader N.Janardhan Reddy for carrying on the movement without the TDP flag and for criticizing N. Chandrababu Naidu.

Janardhan Reddy, a former minister, and three legislators supporting him have come closer to the JAC, which is targeting the group loyal to Naidu.

Janardhan Reddy’s proposed two-day fast July 3 and 4 in Hyderabad is expected to rally pro-Telangana groups on one platform and become a launch pad for the renewed movement.

To counter the pro-Telangana lobby, Congress leaders from the Andhra and Rayalaseema regions have decided to visit New Delhi July 5 to urge the party leadership not to take any step to bifurcate Andhra Pradesh.

TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao, whose 11-day fast forced New Delhi to announce Dec 9, 2009, that the process of formation of Telangana state will be initiated, has warned that if the central government delays the process further, the movement will take a violent turn.

More than 300 people were killed in police firings during massive protests in 1969, across the Telangana region, which comprises 10 districts including Hyderabad.

Rao, who revived the movement by floating TRS a decade ago, brought the issue back into focus in 2009 following the death of then chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash.

However, street protests and mass resignations of Congress and TDP legislators in the Andhra and Rayalaseema regions forced the centre to backtrack.

The five-member Srikrishna committee, which submitted its report in December, has suggested six options but strongly favoured maintaining the status quo.

The Telangana groups rejected the report and now want the centre to table a bill in parliament to fulfil the promise made in 2009.

Comments (0)

Sonia Gandhi not to meet Anna Hazare on Thursday

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

New Delhi,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::- Congress president Sonia Gandhi would not be meeting social activist Anna Hazare and other civil society representatives pitching for a Lokpal bill Thursday, a senior Congress leader said.

“The meeting between Anna Hazare and Sonia Gandhi has been cancelled for today,” Congress leader Tom Vadakkan told IANS.

“The meet between Anna and Sonia Gandhi has not been cancelled but will take place later… we have not been given any time so far,” said a civil society leader, pleading anonymity.

Hazare, accompanied by civil society representatives Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi, met Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and will also hold talks with Communist Party of India general secretary A.B. Bardhan.

Hazare earlier said his team wanted to meet Sonia Gandhi to discuss the Lokpal bill. His team would be meeting political leaders across the board to build a consensus on the bill drafted by members of the civil society.

Comments (0)

Fake caste certificate scam: 2 DU employees arrested

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

New Delhi,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::- Two employees of Delhi University’s SC/ST cell were arrested here for their alleged links with a racket involved in helping students get admission in colleges on the basis of fake caste certificates.

The arrested have been identified as Neeraj and Sanjeet, a senior police official said.

The racket led by Himanshu Gupta allegedly managed to secure admissions for 12 students, including four girls, this admission season in eight colleges and was smashed by Delhi Police’s Crime Branch on June 23 with the arrest of three youths, including a contract employee in a tehsildar office.

“The interrogation of the three persons led to the arrest of two DU employees,” the official said.

Those arrested on June 23 were Himanshu (26) and his associates Vikas (24) and Ketan Gupta (24), who is a a data entry operator on contract basis at Mehrauli tehsildar office.On the modus operandi, the official said, Himanshu and Vikas floated an educational consultancy firm and advertised in leading newspapers in Delhi and other cities about facilitating admissions. They charged Rs 3-5 lakh for getting a student admitted in the college of their choice.

In this academic session, 10 forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Mehrauli, were allegedly prepared by Ketan.

“Data of the forged certificates was uploaded by Ketan on the official website so that if anybody checked its authenticity, the same could be verified from the official website. Three forged caste certificates shown as issued from the office of Tehsildar in Ghaziabad were prepared by one of their associates Satish who is absconding,” he said.The gang was operating since 2008. In the previous years, they have secured admission of students in Delhi University on the basis of forged caste certificates which were shown to have been issued in Ghaziabad.

Comments (0)

News Corp sells Myspace for $35 mn

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

Los Angeles,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 : – The MySpace transaction calls for News Corp. to retain a minority stake in the website, the companies said in a statement.
News Corp. said on Wednesday that it has agreed to sell struggling social network company MySpace to Specific Media for a meager sum of US$35mn. News Corp. had bought MySpace in July 2005 for about US$580mn.

News Corp. said that it will take a minority stake in Specific Media as part of the deal, though no other financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

The MySpace transaction calls for News Corp. to retain a minority stake in the website, the companies said in a statement.

News Corp will retain about 5% stake, according to reports.In addition, recording artist and actor Justin Timberlake will become a part owner of Specific Media and help drive Myspace’s content, creative direction and strategy, The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported.

Specific Media was founded in 1999 and provides digital-advertising services for companies.

The deal will also include a significant reduction in the company’s workforce, according to a memo to MySpace employees. More than half of Myspace’s 500-strong workforce is expected to be laid off, reports said.

MySpace was founded in August 2003 by Chris De Wolfe and Tom Anderson.

At that time, MySpace was considered a pioneer in the social networking space. It also once boasted far higher traffic than Facebook.

At its peak in 2008, MySpace attracted nearly 80 million people in the United States, almost double that of Facebook.

However, today the reality is different, with Facebook eclipsing MySpace in popularity.

In May this year, Facebook was pulling in about 157.2 million unique monthly visitors. On the other hand, MySpace had a little more than 54 million unique monthly visitors, according to online measurement firm comScore.

Wednesday’s deal is also in stark contrast to the ongoing frenzy among the global investors about new generation social media companies, including LinkedIn, Twitter and Groupon.

Comments (0)

Bilkis Bano case: Bombay HC rejects bail plea of convicts

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

Mumbai,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 ::- The Bombay high court on Thursday rejected bail pleas of the seven convicts in the 2002 Bilkis Bano gangrape case after observing that it was a “serious offence”. “Considering the seriousness and gravity of the case, the accused cannot be released on bail till the final disposal of their appeals aga inst conviction,” a division bench of justices NH Patil and Mridula Bhatkar observed.
All the seven accused were sentenced to life imprisonment by a trial court in 2008 following which they moved HC seeking bail pending disposal of the appeals.

According to prosecution, on March 3, 2002, Bilkis Bano’s family was attacked by a mob at Randhikpur village, about 250 kms from Ahmedabad, during the post-Godhra riots.

Eight members of her family were killed and Bilkis was gang-raped, while six other members of her family went missing.

“The accused are facing murder and rape charges which are serious offences. At this stage the accused cannot be released,” justice Patil observed.

The high court has admitted the appeals of the accused against the conviction and also the CBI’s appeal seeking death penalty for three of the seven convicts.

The trial in the case had been transferred to a court in Mumbai by the Supreme Court following allegations that the witnesses could be influenced in Gujarat.

Comments (0)

Woman Forces Daughter into Prostitution, Two Arrested

Woman Forces Daughter into Prostitution, Two Arrested

Posted on 30 June 2011 by GGS News

CHANDIGARH,(GGS NEWS) 30 June 2011 :: A woman has been arrested from Punjab’s industrial town of Phagwara for allegedly forcing her minor daughter into prostitution, police said on Thursday.

Dimple had forced her 13-year-old daughter into the flesh trade in connivance with Rani, the owner of a beauty parlour on Gaushala Road in Phagwara, 120 km from here, a police official said.

The mother was arrested on Wednesday. A case of rape and conspiracy has been registered against her and the beauty parlour owner under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), Station House Officer (SHO) AS Chahal said.

He said the police were trying to track down the men who had sexually exploited the minor. They too are likely to be booked.

Police said Dimple, who had divorced her husband over six years ago, pushed her daughter into prostitution nearly six months back. She had stopped her daughter from going to school and started sending her to the beauty parlour.

The matter came to light on Wednesday after the girl left her home in Hadiabad locality following a quarrel with her mother. Some people later saw a man pulling her into a car on Plahi Road and reported the matter to the police.

The police found that the man pulling at the girl was a driver sent by her mother to get her back. When the police questioned the girl, she spilled the details about her ordeal.

Comments (0)

Advertise Here


Advertise Here















View amritpal Singh SIDHU's profile on LinkedIn