Archive | September, 2011

London shooting: Victim ‘was holding her baby son’

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

London,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 :- Three teenage girls aged 17, 18 and 19 were gunned down in a London street last night (29th September), Scotland Yard has confirmed.
The 18 and 19-year-olds were kept in hospital overnight after treatment for their wounds. One of the girls was thought to be critical when initially admitted, but her condition improved at hospital. The 17-year-old was discharged from the hospital late on Thursday night.Officials from Scotland Yard’s Trident task force, which deals specifically with instances of gang crime within the black community, are investigating the incident, though no arrests have yet been made.
Detectives are hunting the gunman and one of the theories they have for the attack may have been that it was a botched drive-by hit. It is believed that only one shot was fired and it is not known if one of the girls was the intended target or was a victim of mistaken identity.Officers were first called to the scene at 19:17 after members of the public alerted the ambulance service to the plight of the girls.
The victims had been out on the street after unseasonably high temperatures saw London basking in late September sunshine.
A spokeswoman for the London Ambulance Service stated that the 18-year-old was treated at the scene for gunshot wounds.
“She was taken to hospital as a priority, escorted by the air ambulance doctor,” she revealed. “Two further patients reported to be female teenagers with gunshot wounds made their own way to the hospital.”
Police have urged the local community for help in finding the criminals, and witnesses have been asked to come forward.
Labour MP Karen Buck visited the scene of the crime, John Fearon Walk in North Kensington, and tweeted: “On Mozart Estate after reports of 3 girls being shot. Desperately worried about local gang and youth violence. We have to get a grip.”

Comments (0)

WikiLeaks cables: Americans funded groups that stalled Burma dam project

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

YANGON,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 : — Myanmar’s president on Friday ordered a halt to construction of a controversial $3.6 billion mega dam following rare public opposition to the Chinese-backed hydropower project.
Opposition to the Myitsone Dam on the Irrawaddy River has been building as pro-democracy and environmental activists test the limits of their freedom under the new nominally civilian regime.
President Thein Sein, whose government has recently shown signs of reaching out to its opponents, said in a message to parliament in the capital Naypyidaw that work on the project in northern Kachin state would be suspended.
“We have to respect the will of the people as our government is elected by the people,” he said.
“We have a responsibility to solve the worries of the people so we will stop construction of the Myitsone Dam during our current government.”
In March Myanmar’s junta handed power to a new government whose ranks are filled with former generals.
Environmentalists warn the dam project would inundate an area about the size of Singapore, submerging dozens of villages, displacing at least 10,000 people and irreversibly damaging one of the world’s most biodiverse areas.
Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi is among those who have urged the authorities to review the project, which is backed by energy giant China Power Investment Corp. The dissident welcomed the suspension.
“It’s good to listen to the people’s voice. That’s what all governments should do,” Suu Kyi told reporters.
The Nobel laureate told AFP in a recent interview that there was “a growing consciousness of the need to protect the Irrawaddy”.
She added: “It’s something that we’re all concerned about because the Irrawaddy is very important for the whole country, economically, geographically, ecologically and emotionally.”
Police last week arrested a man who staged a rare solo protest against the project outside a Chinese embassy building in Yangon.
They also blocked a rally this week by people seeking the release of political prisoners and an end to the Myitsone project, electricity from which is destined for neighbouring China. No arrests were made on that occasion.
Protests are rare in authoritarian Myanmar, where pro-democracy rallies in 1988 and 2007 were brutally crushed by the junta.
Friday’s announcement marked an unexpected U-turn by the regime. Local media had quoted the minister for electric power as saying earlier in September that construction of the dam would go ahead despite public concerns.
For the people of Kachin, the Myitsone dam has come to symbolise the struggles they have faced for decades as a marginalised ethnic group in the repressed nation under almost half a century of military rule.
Activists urged China Power Investment Corp. to remove workers and equipment from the site and to allow local villagers who were forced to relocate to go home.
The Burma Rivers Network, a network of groups representing dam-affected communities, also called for six other mega dams planned on the Irrawaddy’s tributaries to be scrapped.
“Building these six dams will also cause irreparable environmental destruction, unpredictable water surges and shortages, and inflict social and economic damage to the millions who depend on the Irrawaddy. Thousands of Kachin villagers will also be forced to relocate,” it said in a statement.
In recent weeks fighting has erupted between ethnic rebels and government troops in the area.
In April a series of bomb blasts at the site of the Myitsone Dam destroyed cars and buildings and left one man wounded.
And in August state media accused ethnic fighters of shooting dead seven people, including civilian workers, at a different Chinese-run dam.

Comments (0)

Illegal mining indicted won’t get Cong tickets for polls, says Brar

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

Hyderabad,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 :p The state government will approach the Centre to initiate action against IAS, IPS and IFS officers indicted by the Lok Ayukta report on illegal mining. Additional chief secretary K Jairaj, who is heading the committee to suggest measures to punish over 750 officials indicted by the Lok Ayukta, is expected to submit his report within a day or two.

Sources said the committee members briefed chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda about the report.

They briefed him about the involvement of several top officers in various departments, their modus operandi and what measures can be taken against them.

The government will approach the Centre to initiate action as it does not have jurisdiction to take punitive action against bureaucrats.

The principal secretaries of various departments, mainly the police, forest, and mines and geology, have already served show-cause notices to middle- and low-rung officials indicted by the Lok Ayukta, seeking an explanation as to why punitive action should not be taken against them.

Comments (0)

Terror chief al-Awlaki killed in Yemen air strike

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

GGS NEWS  :- The 40-year-old, who was born in New Mexico, was linked to the 2009 Christmas Day “underwear bomber” plot – a narrowly foiled bid to blow up a passenger jet approaching Detroit.Awlaki was a major target for the US following the Obama administration’s authorisation last year of CIA and military attempts to kill him.He was also linked to the failed Times Square bomb attempt in May last year and the November 2009 Fort Hood shooting, in which 13 people were killed by a gunman at the US Army base.Awlaki’s death follows an unsuccessful attempt on his life on May 5. In that attack, US aircraft followed and fired missiles at a truck in which the terror boss was traveling.

The attack came just days after the successful raid on a compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan which killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Comments (0)

Azad submits Telangana report to Sonia Gandhi

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

HYDERABAD,(GGS NEWS ) 30 Sept 2011 :- AICC general secretary Ghulam Nabi Azad said Wednesday that he would submit a report within two days to party president Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minsiter Manmohan Singh on what stand the Centre should take on the Telangana issue. He also said there is a need for wider consultations at the national level. He implied that the issue had to be placed before the UPA partners.
Speaking to mediapersons in Delhi after conferring with a delegation of Telagnana Congress Steering Committee members, Azad said he was keen that a decision on Telangana be announced at the earliest but would not say when. He said the decision was not in his hands.
The report that he would present would be based on the consultations he has had with leaders from both Seemandhra and Telangana regions. “I held 12-13 meetings with leaders of both regions. The last meeting was held today,” he said.
The Congress general secretary said he was aware that the Sakala Janula Samme has paralysed life in Telangana and made an appeal to the Telangana Joint Action Committee (TJAC) to call it off. He also asked the chief minister to initiate a dialogue with the strikers.
After a three-hour meeting with Azad, Steering Committee chairman K Keshava Rao said Telangana Congress leaders would stay put in Delhi till such a time as Azad submits his report to the party high command.
In the meeting, the delegation told Azad in clear terms that any delay in making an announcement on the Telangana issue would only erode the base of the Congress in the region and help the TRS gain an electoral advantage. They also briefed him about the impact of the Sakala Janula Samme on the state administration and how chief minister Kiran Kumar Reddy was trying to undermine the agitation. One member of the steering committee reportedly accused the chief minister of using the police force to eliminate an employees union leader.
Azad, according to the Steering Committee leaders, asked them not bring pressure on the party leadership on the issue since it is seized of the matter. He wanted them to wait patiently since the party was finalising its stand.

Comments (0)

Modi-baiter cop Sanjeev Bhat arrested

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

Ahmedabad,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 :-  Suspended IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt was today detained in connection with an FIR filed against him by a police constable for allegedly threatening and making him sign a “false” affidavit about a high-level meeting called by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on February 27, 2002.     “Bhatt has been brought in for questioning with regard to the FIR against him in the Ghatlodia police station,” Gujarat DGP Chitranjan Singh told PTI. “His statement will be recorded. He has not been arrested,” he said. Bhatt has received a notice issued to Gujarat Police with regard to the case from the Supreme Court on his petition, Singh added.     The suspended officer, who has alleged Modi’s complicity in post-Godhra riots, was taken to the Ghatlodia police station by ACP N C Patel, police said. Constable K D Pant, who was working under Bhatt during 2002 riots, had registered the FIR accusing Bhatt of threatening a public servant (Pant), fabricating false evidence and wrongful confinement. According to Pant’s FIR, on June 16 he got a call from Bhatt asking him to come to his residence for some work.

Comments (0)

Libya forces take airport in Gaddafi-stronghold Sirte

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

Libya ,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 :— Libya’s revolutionary forces say they have stepped up a siege around Moammar Gadhafi’s hometown of Sirte to wear down his loyalist forces inside.

The fighters have set up new roadblocks and checkpoints and posted snipers at key spots on Sunday.
The move comes after a heavy push by the fighters into the edge of the downtown that failed to dislodge Gadhafi’s men inside Sirte on Saturday. Seven fighters were killed and 150 were wounded in fierce street battles with Gadhafi’s men.

The revolutionaries took Tripoli last month, effectively ending Gadhafi’s rule and sending him into hiding. But his loyalists still hold Sirte, as well as Bani Walid and pockets in south Libya.

Officer Osama Nuttawa al-Swehli says NATO hit four targets in Sirte in pre-dawn airstrikes.

Comments (0)

Greece’s Papandreou to meet Sarkozy and Van Rompuy

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

ATHENS (GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011;–Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou is due to meet European Council President Herman Van Rompuy Friday in Warsaw, a government spokesman said Thursday.

Speaking to journalists after a four-hour long Greek government cabinet meeting, spokesman Elias Mossialos said the meeting was scheduled to take place at 9:00 local time (0700 GMT).

He did not provide further details, but the meeting is likely to focus on the euro-zone debt crisis and Greece’s efforts to fix its public finances and push through unpopular reforms.

However, he did not confirm a separate visit by Papandreou to Paris Friday to meet with French President Nicolas Sarkozy. Greek government officials say that meeting has yet to be finalized.

In his remarks, Mossialos also welcomed the German parliament’s approval of new powers for Europe’s temporary bailout fund, the European Financial Stability Facility, or EFSF.

“It is an exceptionally positive development,” Mossialos said after the vote.

Earlier Thursday, German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s ruling coalition closed ranks to pass the amendments to the EFSF without having to rely on opposition votes for approval.

A total of 315 lawmakers from Merkel’s coalition of Christian Democrats, Bavarian Christian Social Union and the pro-business Free Democrats voted in favor of the bill. Thirteen coalition lawmakers voted against the bill and two abstained.

Comments (0)

Supreme Court cancels Hasan Ali’s bail

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

New Delhi,(GGS NEWS) 30 Sept 2011 :- The court was acting on Enforcement Directorate’s plea that sought cancellation of the bail granted to Khan by Bombay High court .
The ED plea states that there are  alleged various transactions led by Khan through his foreign bank accounts reveal his association with international arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi. It had alleged that in 2003, 300 million dollars was apparently received by Khan from Khassogi from sale of weapons.

A bench of justices Altamas Kabir and S S Nijjar reserved the order on the petition filed by Enforcement Directorate challenging the 12 August order of the Bombay High Court granting bail to Khan.

Accused of stashing away USD eight billion of unaccounted money in foreign banks, Khan is being investigated by the Income Tax department as well for tax evasion.

The Enforcement Directorate has decided to send a team of its investigators to Switzerland,Singapore, UAE and the UK to gather data on investments and assets of stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan who is being probed for allegedly evading income tax of over Rs.50,000 crore.

The move has come as the Directorate is looking to build a watertight case against 53-year old Khan after it booked him on money laundering charges earlier this year and submitted its probe report to the Supreme Court.

The two-member team from the Mumbai unit of the ED will tour these countries with Letters Rogatories (LRs) which were issued earlier to these nations after it arrested Khan in March this year.

Khan has recently been booked by the Hyderabad Police Crime unit for allegedly obtaining a passport by illegal means.

A probe report will also be submitted to the apex court in this regard once investigations are complete.

“This would strengthen our case as obtaining passport through fraudulent means is an offence under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA),” sources said.

Pune-based businessman Khan leads the list of top ten income tax defaulters in financial year 2008-09 in the country, who together owe more than Rs 80,000 crores in taxes.

The businessman owes Rs 50,345.73 crore in taxes for Income Tax assessment year 2009-10. He and his associates will now have to pay the government Rs 89,000 crore, including penalties, according to government data.

Comments (0)

Boy kidnapped for ransom in Ghaziabad

Posted on 30 September 2011 by GGS News

Ghaziabad, (GGS NEWS) 30 Sep 2011 :-  The four-year-old son of a car dealer’s employee was kidnapped for ransom by two men on a motorcycle in Ghaziabad Thursday, police said. The boy’s aunt was later crushed by a speeding train while she went searching for him.
Karan Bajaj was abducted around 1 p.m. in Vasundhara neighbourhood, police said, confirming that a ransom call had been received by the family.
Karan’s aunt Nisha, the sister of his father Tejendra Bajaj, was crushed by a train around 7 p.m. on tracks behind industrial unit Mohan Meakin Ltd.
The two kidnappers came to the gate of the house on a motorcycle around 1 p.m. when Karan and his grandmother were returning to their house from his school.
‘They snatched the boy from his grandmother and escaped,’ a police official said.

Comments (0)

Advertise Here


Advertise Here















View amritpal Singh SIDHU's profile on LinkedIn