Archive | June, 2013

Malda bomb blast: 12 injured; rivalry of land mafia suspected

Malda bomb blast: 12 injured; rivalry of land mafia suspected

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

GGS NEWS : 26 JUNE : Altogether 12 persons, includinga woman, were injured in a bomb blast at a crowded bus stand in Malda district this evening, police said.

Three men came in a motorcycle in front of a grocery shop near Gajol bus stand at about 8 pm, hurled a bomb and fled, police said.

Twelve persons sustained splinter injuries, they said adding four of the victims were hospitalised while others were released after first aid.

It was being suspected that a group rivalry of land mafia could be behind the incident and the bomb was targeted at some persons.

Comments (0)

Kazakhstan may host next round of Iran N-talks

Kazakhstan may host next round of Iran N-talks

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

Almaty,(GGS NEWS) 26  Jun :  (IANS): The next round of talks between Tehran and five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany, namely the P5 1 group, on Iran’s nuclear programme may be held in Kazakhstan, the Iranian envoy to Kazakhstan said.

“We consider that there is no need for all important international actions to take place in European countries, such as Geneva, Vienna, Paris when countries in the region, including Kazakhstan, have all the potential for holding similar actions,” Xinhua quoted Iranian Ambassador Gorban Seyfi as saying.

H said the two previous rounds of talks had been successfully held in Almaty.

“At the end of the second round, Mr. Saeed Jalili, chairman of the national council of safety and Iran’s chief negotiator, declared that Iran is not against holding the third round of talks in Kazakhstan. We will wait for the decision of the main negotiators of P5 1 group,” Seyfi said.

On April 6, Iran and the P5 1 group held talks in Almaty, which achieved no practical results.

Comments (0)

Sniper responsible for 700 shootings held in Germany

Sniper responsible for 700 shootings held in Germany

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

Berlin,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE : A 57-year-old truck driver in Germany has confessed he is the mysterious “expressway sniper” responsible for shooting at at least 762 other road users, police said.

The Federal Criminal Police (or BKA) said the suspect, known as Michael K, worked as a truck driver in Eifel region in southwest Germany, Xinhua reported.

He was allegedly involved in “weird serial shootings” while driving his truck since 2008, which caused panic on roads across Germany, police said.

A number of firearms of different calibres and 1,300 rounds of ammunition were found in his home during the raid.

The man has confessed to the shootings, federal police president Joerg Ziercke said, calling the case “unique in criminal history”.

Despite the high number of shootings, the incidents resulted in no deaths. Two women drivers were seriously wounded, including one who was hit in the throat while driving near Wurzburg in 2009 and the other who lost control of her car to crash into the median barrier.The motorway shootings remained a mystery to German police since 2008. The reward for clues leading to the arrest of the culprit was raised to as high as 100,000 euros after the shooter changed to weapons with more powerful calibre.

Police later installed hidden roadside cameras with number plate recognition technology.

Police also resorted to ballistic investigation to find out that the shooting could have been fired from inside a truck, indicating that the offender might be a truck driver, according to local broadcaster Suedwestrundfunk.

Comments (0)

Obama, Karzai commit to Afghan-Taliban peace talks

Obama, Karzai commit to Afghan-Taliban peace talks

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

US,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE : U.S. President Barack Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai have reaffirmed their commitment to reconciliation talks with the Taliban.

The two leaders spoke during a video conference hours after the Taliban launched an attack on Karzai’s Presidential Palace in Kabul.

Three members of the special forces guarding the compound and four gunmen were killed in the attack early on June 25.

The White House says both leaders agreed talks with the Taliban were the best way to end the violence in Afghanistan.

According to the White House, Karzai and Obama also agreed talks between the two sides should take place at the Taliban office opened last week in Qatar.

Karzai had objected to the use at the compound of the Taliban’s old flag and other symbols from the time the militant group ruled Afghanistan. As a result, Karzai had threatened to boycott talks with the Taliban.

The White House said Obama and Karzai also discussed NATO’s handover of security operations last week to Afghan forces and the need for fair elections in Afghanistan in 2014.

Comments (0)

Inaction over Syria a ‘stain’ on UN: US envoy Susan Rice

Inaction over Syria a ‘stain’ on UN: US envoy Susan Rice

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

GGS NEWS : 26 JUNE : (BBC) Susan Rice has called the UN Security Council’s inaction on the Syrian war “a stain” on the body, in final remarks as US ambassador to the organisation.

She criticised Russia and China for vetoing three resolutions that would have increased pressure on Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

But the US envoy said the post had been “the best job I’ve ever had”.

Ms Rice is leaving the ambassadorship to become President Barack Obama’s national security adviser.

Mr Obama has nominated Samantha Power, a Pulitzer Prize-winning author and former White House adviser, to replace her. Ms Power must now be confirmed by the US Senate.’Moral, strategic disgrace’

The departing US ambassador described her time at the UN as “a remarkable period”, but said she regretted more was not done to stem the bloodshed in Syria.

“I particularly regret that the Security Council has failed to act decisively as more than 90,000 Syrians have been killed and millions more displaced,” she said.

“The council’s inaction on Syria is a moral and strategic disgrace that history will judge harshly.”

Ms Rice said the council’s failure to act could not be laid at the feet of the United States.

“I don’t know how in any circumstance one could ascribe that to a failure of US policy or US leadership,” she said, “when the vast majority of the council was ready and willing to move ahead.”

Russia and China used their Security Council veto powers once in 2011 and twice in 2012 to prevent the body from adopting resolutions that condemned the violence in Syria, demanded an end to human rights violations by Syrian government forces, and threatened non-military sanctions.

The Russians criticised the resolutions as tantamount to taking sides in a civil war.

Despite Ms Rice’s criticism of Russia on Syria, she said it was not inevitable that “complex and multifaceted” relations between the two countries should sour.

“On issues as important as Iran and North Korea, and many others, we have been able to find common ground,” she said.

Comments (0)

Tata Nano car drives into Guinness World Records

Tata Nano car drives into Guinness World Records

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

Bangalore,(GGS NEWS) 26 June :  (IANS) Tata Motors’ small car Nano entered the Guinness World Records for driving on a longest journey covering the entire country, the company said Monday.

“The expedition was accomplished in 10 days (March 21-30) covering 10,218 km in a Tata Nano from Kanyakumari in southern Tamil Nadu to circumnavigate the country and return to Bangalore,” Tata Motors president Ranjit Yadav said at an event held here.

The car entered the Guinness World Records, breaking the previous record of 8,046 km.

The car was driven by city-based motoring enthusiast Srikarunya Subrahmanyam and his team.

“Tata Nano has put India on the world motoring map by demonstrating its robustness, reliability and frugal engineering. We will encourage motor expeditions to enable customers experience the brand’s value,” Yadav said.

India’s first Formula One motor racing driver Narain Karthikeyan felicitated Subrahmanyam and the team for the record achievement on the occasion.Karthikeyan also released a book ‘Atop the World’ authored by Thomas Chacko, a 63-year-old Kochi-based motoring enthusiast who accomplished a 78-day long national expedition driving in a Nano across the country in July 2012.

“I have seen a new breed of traveller emerge, one who has a streak of adventure and passion for motoring. I have known people who have driven long distances for the fun of it despite the option of taking a flight or a train being always there. This is the spirit that encourages enthusiasts like Srikarunya and Thomas to overcome challenges of driving long distances,” Karthikeyan said.

Comments (0)

US Army Chief to visit India next month

US Army Chief to visit India next month

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

WASHINGTON,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE : US Army Chief Raymond Odierno said he will visit India next month to expand the existing military to military co-operation between the two countries.

Terming the visit to be an “important relationship for the US”, Odierno today said that he would meet Indian Army Chief General Bikram Singh and other defence officials during the visit.

“We will discuss many issues that we have in common to help each other grow as armies,” he said.

Asserting that the US would continue to work and build on areas of common interests Odeirno said, “I will have a chance to go around the visit the Indian army and I am looking forward to that very much”.

Comments (0)

Govt bans 39 pornographic sites

Govt bans 39 pornographic sites

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

NEW DELHI,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE : The government has decided to put a blanket ban on several websites that allow users to share pornographic content.

In an order dated June 13, department of telecom (DoT) has directed internet service providers (ISPs) to block 39 websites. Most of them are web forums, where internet users share images and URLs to download pornographic files. But some of these websites are also image hosts and file hosts, mostly used to store and share files that are non-pornographic.

While watching or distributing child pornography is illegal in India, watching adult pornography is not banned. The blocked websites are hosted outside India and claim to operate under the 18 USC 2257 rule enforced by the US. The rule specifies that producers of pornographic material are required to retain records showing performers were over 18 years of age at the time of video or image shoot.

The DoT order doesn’t specify any reason or law under which the websites have been blocked. It says, “It has been decided to immediately block the access to the following URLs… you are accordingly directed to immediately block the access to above URLs.”

If a user visits the blocked website, he/she is either shown a blank page or a message telling “this website has been blocked until further notice either pursuant to court orders or on the directions issued by the Department of Telecommunications”.

A senior DoT official, who pleaded anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media, said the department was just following the orders issued by cyber security coordination committee and hence could not talk about the specific reasons behind the block.

Centre for Internet and Society (CIS), a Bangalore-based organization, says blocking of pornographic website is overreach on the part of the government.

“In the case of file hosts and image hosts, which people use for various purposes including for storing personal files, the DoT order is a clear overreach,” said Sunil Abraham, director of CIS. “Even in the case of pornography, there is nothing in the IT Act that can be used to block websites hosted outside in India.”

He added, “There is a possibility that government is interpreting some sections of the IT Act to suit its purpose but I feel that is wrong and should be challenged in the court by ISPs if they care about the rights of their users.”

Rajesh Chharia, president of Internet Service Providers Association of India, said that it was not possible for ISPs to pushback orders from DoT. “We are the licensee and we have to operate under the laws… we can’t pushback,” he said.

“But I feel ideally the government should ask the people who have produced objectionable content to remove it from the web if these people are in India… If they are outside, the websites should be blocked at the international cable landing stations. Involving 150-odd ISPs to implement an order is not the right way to do it,” added Chharia.

Though IT Act doesn’t criminalize watching porn, the new rules notified in 2011 have certain provisions that show the government wants to dictate what people watch or do not watch on the web. For example, the rules ask an intermediary like an ISP to “inform users of computer resources not to host, display, upload, modify, publish, and transmit any information that is obscene and pornographic”.

The rules meant for cyber cafe owners specify that they “shall display a board, clearly visible to the users, prohibiting them from viewing pornographic sites as well as copying or downloading information which is prohibited under the law”.

Abraham says that going after pornographic websites, and that too in a non-transparent manner, serves no purpose.

“I have travelled to China and Middle East and have seen that people access pornographic websites using various web tools. In fact, by banning websites the governments have made it more alluring for users to watch and access pornography,” he said. None of the western democracies have explicit ban on pornography.

Abraham added that Indian government should also be more transparent about blocking websites because the current method was prone to abuse. “They should notify owner of the blocked website, clearly tell web users why a website is getting blocked and tell public how many websites they have blocked.”

Comments (0)

Nelson Mandela critical, bishop prays for ‘peaceful, perfect end’

Nelson Mandela critical, bishop prays for ‘peaceful, perfect end’

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

South Africa,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE  : (CNN) — Cape Town’s archbishop led Nelson Mandela’s family in prayer on Tuesday, calling for “a quiet night and a peaceful, perfect, end” for the former South African president.
Archbishop Thabo Makgoba prayed with Mandela’s family at the Pretoria hospital where the anti-apartheid icon remains in critical condition, the South African Press Association reported.
“Fill them with your holy courage and the gift of trusting faith, and take away their fears so that they may dare to face their grief,” he said, according to a copy of the prayer posted on the bishop’s website.
“Guide the medical staff so that they may know how to use their skills wisely and well, in caring for Madiba and keeping him comfortable,” Makgoba said, using Mandela’s traditional clan name. “And uphold all of us with your steadfast love so that we may be filled with gratitude for all the good that he has done for us and for our nation, and may honor his legacy through our lives.”As night fell, well-wishers outside the Pretoria hospital where Mandela lay chanted his name, hung signs of support on bulletin boards and left flowers.
“We wish him well. We are calling on the world to unite and pray for Madiba,” said 24-year-old Innocentia Moselane. “He is our icon, and we love him.”
During his 27 years behind bars for fighting apartheid, Mandela became a rallying symbol for those fighting South Africa’s white-minority rule at home and abroad. His release in 1990 was the beginning of the end of apartheid, the system of legalized racial segregation the South African government enforced for more than 45 years.
“He is our hero. He is my mentor, my father. He is everything to me,” 36-year-old Kuda Nyahumzvi told CNN outside the hospital. “But when it is his time, we wish his soul could just rest. He spent so long in jail and struggling.”
While crowds of supporters appeared to have gone home by early Wednesday morning, the South African Press Association reported, scores of journalists remained outside the Medi-Clinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria.
Mandela’s wife, Graca Machel, spends every night at the hospital, where the former president has been since June 8 for a recurring lung infection. Previously, authorities had described his condition as serious but stable.
But over the weekend, his health took a turn for the worse, with the South African president’s office saying he was in critical condition.
“The doctors are doing everything possible to ensure his well-being and comfort,” President Jacob Zuma told the nation Monday.
When the country held its first multiracial elections in 1994, Mandela became the South Africa’s first black president. He stepped down in 1999 after serving a single term.
Though he continued to be a voice on the world stage for developing nations, human rights and the fight against AIDS after leaving office, Mandela, 94, has been sidelined by advancing age and bouts of illness in recent years.
He last appeared in public in 2010.

Comments (0)

10-yr-old Mumbai girl raped by 4 minors, dies in hospital

10-yr-old Mumbai girl raped by 4 minors, dies in hospital

Posted on 26 June 2013 by GGS News

NAVI MUMBAI,(GGS NEWS) 26 JUNE : Four boys aged 14 to 16 are being questioned by the Turbhe-MIDC police after a 10-year-old schoolgirl was raped on June 16. The girl was admitted to Dr D Y Patil Hospital in Nerul with meningitis on June 20, died on Tuesday night.

Senior inspector Suresh Bhosale told TOI: “The minors (two of them brothers) named by the girl had reportedly lured her to an isolated spot and committed the crime in Hanuman Nagar. We are conducting medical tests on the boys and questioning them. The exact cause of the girl’s death is not clear.”

Bhosale said the girl only later informed her friend about her incident. Her parents informed the police when told about it. He said all the accused cannot be immediately detained or arrested as they were minors, but the police had registered an FIR.

Comments (0)

Advertise Here


Advertise Here















View amritpal Singh SIDHU's profile on LinkedIn